When our son was learning to walk, he was fearless. He’d step out without our support, fall and bang his head every time. I wondered, why wouldn’t he just let me put my hands on either side of his waist? My touch would keep him from falling.
But then, maybe that’s not so different from how we are with God. He’s right there next to us, ready to teach us, steady us, even empower us, but somehow we choose to step out without Him.
The truth is this is supernatural work He’s called us to. I can’t move a heart or draw someone to Himself. Only God can.
So how do I tap into His mighty power? Ephesians 6:10. By walking in intimacy with Him that doesn’t end in my quiet time, but carries out into every moment of every day, as I walk in step with the One I love, aware of His presence, in constant conversation with Him, looking for where He’s leading, and going there with Him. 1 Thessalonians 5:17.
- “What are You doing today, Lord? I want to do that with You.”
- “Lord, flow through me. Empower me to do this, because I can’t do it without You.”
- “Forgive me for my pride, Lord. I’m sorry for trying to control things and do things my way. You take control. I want to do things Your way.”
- “Lord, I don’t know what to do in this situation. I need You. Please show me how to walk through this.”
- “Lord, what are You doing in this person’s heart who’s talking to me right now? I don’t want to answer with my own wisdom but Yours. What do You want to say to him? Please speak through me.”
- “Don’t let me be distracted, Lord. Remind me Who You are and who I am in You. I want to be who You want me to be today.”
- “Is there any sin in my heart? Is there anything You’ve asked me to do that I haven’t done yet? Show me, Lord. I want to be a clean vessel for You.”
- “Lord, You said You will never leave me or forsake me. Help me feel Your presence with me now.”
- “Lord, forgive me for judging others. How do You see this person? I want to see him through Your eyes, not my own.”
As I walk through my day, praying and believing He will answer, I’m tuning my heart to His and surrendering to His Spirit’s leading, walking in step with Him every moment. Proverbs 3:5-7, Galatians 5:16, 25.
“Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power… And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.” Ephesians 6:10, 18 (NIV)
“Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.” Galatians 5:25 (NIV)
“The Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.” 2 Corinthians 3:17 (NIV)
“The mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace.” Romans 8:6b (NIV)