Life is a battle. Ephesians 6:10-20, 2 Corinthians 10:3-5, 1 Peter 5:8. We face difficulties every day. Sometimes we fight well, but other times, it’s as if we’ve forgotten which side we’re on. We hurt others, fight against God’s plans, act without praying, believe what the enemy tells us instead of what Jesus says. John 8:42-47. How do we stay on our King’s side, fighting as one for the things of His heart? Psalm 45:1-5.
- Know Who your Commander is: Love is His name, and love is His command. 1 John 4:16b, Matthew 22:37-40, John 14:15. If what you’re thinking or doing is not loving God and others, check your motive for another master (like pride, control, doubt, self-defense, religious pride, anger, selfishness, revenge, etc.) Galatians 5:1-25.
- Know who your enemy is: We have a real enemy, but it’s not our brother. Ephesians 6:12. Am I jealous, judging, attacking, ignoring, looking down on others, assuming things about people and talking behind their backs, running over them rather than listening and praying with them, forcing others to do what I want instead of seeking God for what He wants, or oppressing my brother/sister in any other way? Matthew 7:1-5, James 4:11-12. Don’t fight against your brother. Fight for him against the real enemy. 1 Peter 5:8-9.
- Know your Sword: Ephesians 6:17. The Word is best interpreted by the Word. John 1:1. So be careful not to let the father of lies twist Scripture or distract you from the Truth with arguments based on tradition, reasoning, doubt, or even your own imagination. John 8:42-47, Luke 4:9-11. Make sure what you’re standing on 1) agrees with the Word, not just one portion, but all of it, 2) agrees with God’s character, especially His love, 3) draws you/others closer to Him.
- Fight for the things your King fought for. Jesus is our example, and He only did what His Father was doing. John 5:19, 1 John 2:5-6. If it wasn’t something Jesus fought for, should you be fighting?
- Surrender to your King. Pride is at the root of every conflict, and our King opposes pride. 1 Peter 5:5, James 4:1-2. So, no matter how right you believe you are, lay all your thoughts, opinions, ideas, agendas, goals, plans, actions and desires at Jesus’ feet, and ask Him for His. Isaiah 55:6-9. Get into the Proverbs 3:5-7 habit of seeking God to direct your paths, rather than leaning on your own understanding. James 4:6, Psalm 45:4, Philippians 2:1-15, John 14:15, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 6. Walk in humble surrender, and win!
“Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. We do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.” Ephesians 6:10-12 (NKJV)