Do you find it difficult to wake up for a quiet time? Have you felt busy? Weary? Dry? Angry? Discouraged? Bitter? Lonely? Worthless?
We were created for oneness with Christ and with each other, listening to and obeying the Head together as one body, and using all our gifts to build each other up and bring forth His kingdom here on earth. Matthew 22:37-40, John 14:15-15:17, Ephesians 3:16-5:21.
So it comes as no surprise that our enemy wants to block that from happening. John 10:10, Ephesians 6:10-20. And the place where he wages war is in our minds. To not give in to his schemes, we must take our thoughts captive and make them obedient to Christ. 2 Corinthians 10:3-5.
- Stand on the Truth. Just because you believe something doesn’t mean it’s true. Only what God says is true. John 8:31-32, 42-47. To test your thoughts for enemy lies, run them through this sieve:
- Does it agree with the Word—not just one or two passages, but all of it? The Word is best interpreted by the Word. Luke 4:9-12.
- Does it agree with God’s character—especially His love? Matthew 22:37-40, 1 John 3:16b.
- Does it draw us closer to Christ? John 14:15-15:17, James 4:7-8.
- Don’t mind-read; stick to the facts. The Accuser sets us against our brothers and against God’s purposes. So, be quick to surrender your opinions over to Jesus and ask Him how He sees that person or situation. Don’t imagine hidden actions or motives behind people’s words. Instead, listen. James 1:19. If the meaning is unclear, ask, “When you said…, did you mean…?” Only God is omniscient; only He can read a mind. James 4:11-12, Matthew 7:1-5, 1 Peter 5:5-6.
- Look for what God’s doing and follow Him there. Don’t just act on your thoughts. Seek the Lord’s. Proverbs 3:5-7, Isaiah 55:6-9. Talk with Him, not only in your quiet times, but all day long. Get in the habit of surrendering your every moment to become His. Ephesians 6:18. Pray with those you work with, live with, mentor, or lead before making a decision. Together, ask God what He wants to do, and then share with each other what He’s saying to your hearts. John 10:1-5, 27.
- Purpose to do the opposite of what the enemy is doing. Sometimes the enemy’s plans are more visible than God’s. Is he keeping you from your quiet times? Then set aside an even longer time to be with Jesus. Is he discouraging? Then worship. Is he causing dissension? Then forgive, ask forgiveness, and pray for those who persecute you.
Visit www.MoreThanAConquerorBooks.com for more encouragement, Bible studies and books to help you draw closer to Christ.
“ Some … think of us as if we walked according to the flesh. For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled. Do you look at things according to the outward appearance? … For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.”2 Corinthians 10:2-12